Thursday, October 20, 2011

Re-Blog - Occupy Wall Street and Education

I've been very into the Occupy Wall Street movement recently.  I've spent an hour or two a day reading articles on it, re-posting them and commenting on social media to spread the word.  I've gotten into some adamant debates with libertarians and neo-liberals/conservatives.  I attended Occupy Wall Street last weekend.  But I haven't written about the movement here.  I felt there was a relationships between education and the economic injustice that OWS is protesting, but I wasn't certain how to write about the two.

Luckily Nicholas D. Kristof did and his Op-Ed for the New York Times Occupy the Classroom addressed this relationship.

"One common thread, whether I’m reporting on poverty in New York City or in Sierra Leone, is that a good education tends to be the most reliable escalator out of poverty. Another common thread: whether in America or Africa, disadvantaged kids often don’t get a chance to board that escalator."

No comments:

Post a Comment